Solarwinds: (Mars is Where the Heart Is)

by Caligula's Launderette

Dedicated to Ari, Bobo, Psy and Sureal - now don't you feel special now? Read my first two chapters if you haven't already, and reviewing will make me eternally yours. This is my first draft, so bear with me spelling and grammar mistakes will appear.

cheers CL

***

Solarwinds: Life in a Linear Virginity

“And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.”

- Erica Jong

Mars is Where the Heart Is

"Hello, stranger." Two slits of emerald green floated in the darkness, the voice was almost a purr.

"Bob?" Darien spun around from his place beside the debriefing chamber.

"No, Captain Obvious, it's Sigmund Freud..."

Darien frowned.

"And it's Maurice." The voice continued.

"Right...Bob."

"Urg...you're absolutely hopless."

Darien straightened to his full height, balancing a dustry gray-green duffle on his shoulder, intending to fully ignore the chatty ball of fur that slinned out from the darkness to greet him.

"So, where are we going?"

"You know I'm not talking to you right?"

"Whatever Chief, so where are we going?"

Darien scowled as continued on his way.

His voice was soft barely louder that the buzz of machinery, "Mars."

"Mars, sounds like a bundle of yarn to me."

Darien came to a door marked in red, the words stood out like blood on the polished metal. 'Containment Chamber'. He opened the door slowly, inside was a desk and two silver chairs, a portly man waddled in and address him.

"Papers please."

Darien passed his papers over, the man's chubby hand grasped them tightly.

"Where are you going then son?"

"Mars."

"That's quite a ways from here."

"Yes."

"Why so far?"

"Something I have to do."

"I gather it's importent then."

"Yes, very."

"Well safe flying." He handed Darien over the codes for his flight plan.

Taking them quickly, Darien left, a jet of black following close behind.

"So what's so importent on Mars, Chief?"

"None of your business."

"Ooooh touchy. So what is it?"

Darien ignored him and entered the Spacer.

"Oh don't give me that silent treatment. I'll just have to start guessing then."

Darien closed the door of the Spacer loudly and settled himself in the padded pilot's chair.

"It's a girl isn't it?"

Darien mentally visualized the small annoying Daemon being torn apart by a pack of avenging Cerberus'.

"Ah heh, it's a girl Chief, I know that look, what is she like then? Tall, long legged, blonde, blue-eyed? Human probably, your type huh? I'll bet she's-"

"Perfect." Immediately Dairen regretted the ownership of his traitorous mouth.

"Perfect as in gorgeous body, long legs perfect..."

"Perfect in everyway." Oivey this would be a long ride.

"Ooolala! Chief's got a girlfriend..."

"Shut it you immature ball of fur before I stick you in a bucket of water."

"You wouldn't do that, would you?"

"Don't test me feline."

"You are a cruel, cruel man."

Silence ensued as Darien prepared for take off.

"You know I'm not a man, really, you know that right?"

"Yeah Chief, you are to man as I am to domesticated kitten. But you could have fooled me."

-

The flakes of red snow trickled down the window pane, crimson scars against the pure translucent prefabricated platiglass.

"Darling, are you going to eat something, you're not looking yourself these days."

Yes I know that, you can see my bones in my wrists, pressing blue tattoos into much skin. I let the comment slip by, though, I haven't eaten in sometime. The reality was I could hardly stomach tea let alone solids. The eminent pressence of the Lightbearer's nagging in my head - when would they come for me? Surely, it would soon.

Sorry guys I have a time limit, I'll type up the rest later. Lurf you all. CL

Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:20 pm

thanks Greg, sorry I haven't updated it, but I have timelimits on the computer, so yeah it sucks...

thankies again for the review

CL

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:35 pm
astrogemini says...

Time limit...
Way to leave us in suspense. So far this is shaping up to be my favorite chapter. No complaints as of yet. We'll just have to wait until you post more.

You wanna be a writer? You don't know how or when? Find a quiet place, use a humble pen.
— Paul Simon